Saturday, June 19, 2010

WILT #1: Villainy


I'm going to start a new series that I hope to make at least a tri-weekly thing. Maybe I can progress into it being a daily thing someday (if I have that much time everyday) but for now, this'll do. I'm calling it W.I.L.T. (What I Learned Today). It's based on the saying that you learn something new every day. I'm going to try and stimulate myself into making sure I learn something new every day in order that I may keep myself sharp and not get lazy intellectually. So, anyway, here goes.

WILT: Day One
Villainy / Insanity

I was thinking about this blog on my way home tonight, and somehow started thinking about movie and book villains. Even our villains in our daily lives (I.E. The Oh-So-Hated Hitler). Sometimes, villains will go off trying to justify their actions. They say they're just visionaries trying to change the world. One villain in particular strikes me the most in this case.
The Joker is a clear case of a maniacal individual intent on "watching the world burn". He uses unusual methods, to say the least, of accomplishing his goals.
However, there's some realistic applications to the behavior of villains and mentally unstable people. You see, we live in a world where conformity is the key to being considered sane. You're not considered sane if you step too far outside the world's boundaries. There's several boundaries in place, of course. I mean, it takes a great deal of being "different" to be considered mentally insane. But it also takes being outside of those boundaries to see how the world needs changing and how it really ought to be. I'm not calling for us to all become insane or villainous in our actions. It's just, you can't really see what needs fixing when you're part of the mess. We're all part of the mess.

I did a horrid job of explaining my thoughts, but villains really are just visionaries trying to change the world. Their methods are a bit questionable, granted, but sometimes it takes someone out of the ordinary to give us a wake up call to the world we live in.

No comments: