Tuesday, June 22, 2010

WILT #2: Delinquency


When I was working today, I was talking to the other guard I was working with while the YMCA Day Care kids' group was swimming. We started on the topic of the group the YMCA sponsors for kids who've gotten into trouble with the law. Now, open swim didn't start till 4 and it was 3:30 when three guys walked in. One of them was like the biggest man I've ever seen (I think he might've been pon steroids, not sure). They jumped into the pool in the deep end. I had to swallow a little bit of fear as I walked over to tell them open swim didn't start till 4, but I knew they had to respect my authority else they'd get kicked out of the pool, and possibly the YMCA.
When I told them open swim didn't start till four, the big one looked at me and told me they were with the YMCA. I raised my eyebrow and asked if they really were, and he said "Yeah, I'm a counselor!" in the rudest manner he could muster. I walked back over to the other guard and told her what had happened (she was once head lifeguard, then stepped down because of a busy schedule). She figured they were probably with the group we'd been talking about earlier, so it was okay if they stayed in the pool till the others got out.

It got me thinking. We usually judge people by their past actions. I mean, crime goes on your permanent record. It's basically asking people to judge you. I personally have almost too much faith in people's ability to change. But that'll be for another day.. Anyway, we always judge books by their covers. We always judge people by how they look, carry themselves, and have done in the past.

I heard a story at Encounter of a guy who worked at the YMCA (ironically). One night, he was the only one there late at night finishing up some work, maybe cleaning. A couple of young guys walked in looking for trouble. Started defacing the property in the building, stuff like that. They eventually noticed the guy working, and thought he was trying to call the police. Upon noticing that, they grabbed him, beat him until he was nearly dead, and left him by the side of the pool. The next morning, he was found by one of the other workers. He survived, but lost the use of his eyesight if I remember correctly.

The two young men were brought to court a few weeks later for the crime, and the man was asked to testify against them. But as the judge was about to deliver the verdict, he asked if he could take the men into his care. If they were to mess up again, they could be taken to jail. Otherwise, he would take care of them and raise them to be better young men. The judge agreed. One of the young men immediately following got into trouble with the law again and was arrested. The other one was able to grow up into a better future as a better person.

So I guess what I learned today is that we all judge people by what they've done, but we don't place enough faith in their ability to change. I used to think of it as a flaw of mine, but everyone deserves a second chance. It's up to them whether they blow it, or use it wisely.

No comments: